Monday, February 1, 2010

Walking around and dinner

We spent the day walking all over the city. Here are some of my favorite things from that walk:
View from the Ponte Vecchio;

locks are all over this one gate surrounding a fountain on the Ponte Vecchio. It's a tradition where lovers date and sign a lock and attach it. You can read more about it here;

amazing focaccia-like bread, ma piu` croccante (crunchy), called schiattatine;

Afterwards, we were exhausted, and we just wanted to go to the supermarket, make dinner, and relax. Antoinette and I cooked dinner. It was amazing. It was a simplified version of Farfalle alla bosciaola (which is my favorite pasta dish in the world). It was penne pasta (we didn't have farfalle on hand- the butterfly shape), garlic, onion, prosciutto, crushed tomato, and heavy cream. Their cream is not found in the refrigerated section- it is more like a parmalat milk in that it doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened. It was super thick in the container, but thinned out once added to heat. We grated a mound of fresh parmigian cheese into it. YUM.


While I'm on the subject of talking about freshly grated parmigian, I will just say that there is a HUGE difference between this freshly grated, and the stuff I used to eat at home (the pre grated). The parmigian I am eating here is yellow, almost butter colored, nutty and sharp in flavor, and awesome. The stuff at home is powdery white, and just bland in comparison. That is one thing I have really started noticing in my short few days here; the small differences in taste.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment