Monday, March 8, 2010

The food of Seville

Hi guys, I took a little break from blogging this weekend. For a fantastic reason- I went to SPAIN! It was a random trip that I took to visit a friend that I haven't seen since 2006. She lives in Seville and is teaching English. My friend from Florence came with me and it was an all around amazing time. I'm going to be breaking down my trip into two posts- this one (food) and another one (architecture). I honestly cannot explain how amazing this weekend was. The food was delicious, cheap, the architecture is beautiful, the city got amazing light making for great photographs, the people are so nice (and most didn't speak a word of English, but we got by), and the nightlife is tons of fun. You all have to just go!

We ate tapas (basically small plates of food), which is the way people do it and I love it- you get a ton of variety this way. Since we didn't speak Spanish, my friend and I basically just asked the waiters what their favorite things were (we said it in Italian with a few Spanish words thrown in), and told them to surprise us. It was so much fun this way! And there was NOT ONE THING that I didn't love.

For food:
Potatoes with this spicy tomato sauce and garlic aioli.

Rolled chicken, bacon, and cheese, fried, and covered in this almond sauce, served with potatoes.

Grilled squid with garlic aioli.

This is a dip, a kind of hummus texture, made of red peppers and garlic with ham and eggs in it.

This is a piece of pork with this great spicy sauce and potatoes. Pork is really popular in Spain.

The closest thing I can compare this to is a Thanksgiving stuffing, with chorizo in it.

Quail eggs and ham on toast.

Sandwiches on grilled bread- smoked codfish with this awesome mystery sauce, pork with ham, shrimp with garlic aioli, and tuna with red pepper.

For dessert:
Lemon flan with the richest burnt caramel sauce.

Coconut pudding.

Churros with chocolate. In Spain they are eaten for breakfast but they are good anytime!


To drink:



I'm heading back to Spain in 2 weeks for Spring Break (Barcelona)- it will be a completely different part of Spain, but I just fell in love with this country.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment